Thursday, February 24, 2011

Need the Grandmas' expert opinion

Hi Grandmas,

Starshine is doing her biography project on Ruby Bridges, who helped integrate Louisiana public schools in 1960. She needs to present her project in costume. I have been trying to convince her that 1960's 1st grade fashion is not all that different from 2010 (minus the sparkle). A quick raid of her closet yielded a knee length dress with collar, matching cardigan sweater, folded over bobby socks, and black mary-jane shoes. If I work on my braiding styles over the next week, and throw in a bow, I say she is a spitting image of the cover of the book she read from the library.

Starshine is not convinced. She thinks she looks like a regular kid going to school.

OK - Grandmas - does she look like a 1960 1st grader??

2 comments:

Uncle said...

OK, I'm not a grandma, but I do think she is a 1960s kid!!! Auntie and I saw a painting of Ruby by Norman Rockwell. You are right on!!

Gmom L said...

I am a grandma and I agree. You could go over the top with the lunch box and a paper version of the briefcase like school bag! You are all so creative.