Sunday, August 23, 2009

Super Grandpa!

Anybody who has ever come to our house probably has noticed how much our stairs squeak and creak. I have tried many things over the years (shims, extra nails, etc ) to no avail. Well, Grandpa L wanted to give it a try this weekend. "OK, I said, I'm happy to invest 20 bucks in supplies for you to try. (The only caveat was we couldn't start until Saturday because I was not going to ask M&M Dad to haul out stuff from under the stairs on his birthday!)
Well, several hours and $0 later - Hallelujah, it worked! Apparently no amount of nails or shims was going to the fix the fact that the builder did not support the two corners of the stairs on the cement foundation. So, with the help of the car jack (which caused some ASP flashbacks) and some scrap lumber, our stairs are soooooo quiet! I seriously feel like a stealthy cat when I walk up the stairs. (The downside - it is going to be much easier for our kids to sneak out of the house someday...)
Well, now that he was on a roll, Grandpa L couldn't be stopped. He helped haul in the computer desk he brought (newly finished) from Wisconsin, fixed the broken slider door handle, made sure the screen door flowed smoothly, sprayed the neighbor's hornet hive, and helped the girls hang their birdhouses...

Awesome job Grandpa L - it was appreciated!
Of course, none of this was planned so it required multiple trips to the hardware store. Hmmmm - maybe I'll make a list for your next visit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

chie4
Holy Cow does Dad look like his dad in that picture under the steps. WOW! I am freaking out a little. Don't you think so?

It looks like you all had a great time together.
:)

LOVE!
Auntie.

Anonymous said...

You're very welcome!
Grandpa L.